2017 CEO Academy
January 29-February 1, 2017
Safety Harbor Resort and Spa
Safety Harbor, FL
The CEO Academy, LSA’s signature event for chief executives, is a highly interactive, three-day event that brings together over 50 chief executives from leading Lutheran social ministry organizations to share, learn, and build connections.
Held January 29-February 1, 2017 in sunny Safety Harbor, Florida, the CEO Academy features prominent subject matter experts and seasoned LSA CEOs leading sessions in their area of leadership and management expertise. The sessions include facilitated problem solving activities, team building exercises, and interactive panel sessions with engaging Q&A and interview-style presentations.
Seizing Opportunity, Realizing the Future
This year's agenda focuses on Seizing Opportunity, Realizing the Future, and explores how visionary leaders look to the future to define what’s ahead, drive change with stakeholders, and evaluate potential opportunities for large-scale change that dramatically alter the path forward. In this new reality, the lines between for-profits and not-for-profits are increasingly blurred. What are the implications for new models of service and profitability when change is the only certainty?
Amidst growing demand for services and increased competition from for-profits, we will explore ways social ministries engage in innovative business models, develop new services, and invest in capital to achieve competitive advantage and long-term viability. Discussion topics include:
- How successful leaders evaluate risk, drive change and position the organization for the future
- Understanding new models of service and profitability to achieve sustainability
- Creating effective boards that engage in both strategic and generative work, identify future trends, and partner effectively with the CEO
- Evaluating emerging innovative partnerships, strategic alliances, mergers, acquisitions, and joint ventures
- Nurturing talent to build a diverse leadership pipeline, creating ways to hear from all stakeholders, and cultivating board diversity
We have an exciting lineup of speakers, including:
- Jim Bildner, Senior Research Fellow at the Center for Public Leadership at Harvard University and Adjunct Lecturer in Public Policy at the Harvard Kennedy School
- Jeremy Kohomban, President and CEO of The Children's Village and Harlem Dowling
- Susan Meier, Senior Governance Consultant at BoardSource
- Featuring Theologian-in-Residence Mark Huber, Pastor of Sanctuary Marshfield Church (MA)
Testimonials from 2016 LSA CEO Academy
"I can honestly say it was one of the most relevant professional learning experiences I have had. With my deepest gratitude and wishes for God's blessings on you."
"The CEO Academy was a wonderful event that brought together 50+ CEOs from Lutheran Social Ministry Organizations from all over the country. We are joined together by our Lutheran heritage of service and our passionate commitment to mission. It was amazing and inspiring to spend time with them to share joys and challenges. The talent among the CEOs was impressive; and I felt so blessed to be welcomed into such an accomplished group of leaders with open arms. Thank you for helping to make this possible. I am grateful to have found such a supportive network of colleagues."
"I really enjoyed the CEO Academy. I really appreciated the focus on leadership development - it was like attending an Executive MBA course in many ways. So often, we attend industry conferences which focus on what is happening in our service environment. While this is necessary, it is rare that I have an opportunity to step back and reflect on the bigger picture of leading the organization. Thank you...LSA for putting together an outstanding event."
The 2017 LSA CEO Academy is made possible through generous gifts from: