Concordia Place is a fast-growing nonprofit with a mission focused on growth and opportunity for people and communities in Chicago. Concordia believes all people deserve to reach their full potential, and through four locations (and plans underway for a fifth) it provides Early Childhood education, innovative Teen Leadership, and healthy Senior Wellness programs.
Concordia Place is seeking a motivated, relationship-driven leader to propel Concordia Place’s advancement to the next level. This is an opportunity to be part of a dynamic organization with a proven track record of successful mission growth. This position is a valued member of the team that is shaping the organization’s strategic growth.
Reporting to the President/CEO, this full-time position works closely with the board, other volunteer leaders, and the senior management team to develop and lead the funding strategy for private giving from the individuals, corporations, foundations, and faith community that support the Concordia Place mission and mission growth. The Director focuses on donor acquisition, donor cultivation and major gifts, while overseeing a high-functioning team for special events, foundation relations and giving, organizational communications, and donor record and gift tracking across the family of Concordia organizations.
The successful candidate will be comfortable working in a faith-based environment. As a social service mission of Concordia Lutheran Church, Concordia Place is a faith-based organization that serves everyone regardless of any religious beliefs or affiliation.
The candidate should also have major gift experience in addition to the qualifications below:
- 8 years minimum fund-raising experience, preferably in human services arena
- Intimate knowledge of Chicago philanthropic community
- Proven results in donor acquisition, moves management, and cultivation
- Significant time with individual donor asks/ upgrades for gifts >$10,000
- Success in at least one capital campaign with a goal in excess of $2million
- Experience with planned giving is a plus
- Hands on proficiency with donor database systems and ability to present donor reports, documents, spreadsheets, and presentations
- Highly-effective communicator who can gain confidence of high-level business sponsors
- Write clear and precise communications
- Team player with sense of humor, flexibility and stamina
- Demonstrated initiative and self-directed; focused, yet works extremely well on teams and in collaborative environment
- Strong planning and organizational skills; balance multiple tasks and set priorities
- Bachelor’s degree required
More about Concordia Place
In 2014, Concordia Place launched a strategic plan to proactively solve the issue nonprofits face: long-term work with uncertain, short-term funding. The strategy leverages Concordia’s core competency in early childhood and at the same time meets a high, unmet demand for child care and education for children under 3 years old in Chicago. Concordia is on track to achieve its goal to launch three early learning centers by 2020. Concordia Day on Ravenswood opened August 2016; the ribbon cutting for the second, Concordia Day on Milwaukee, was August 1, 2018; and site selection for the third center is underway.
To fund its strategy, Concordia Place launched a blended campaign in early 2016. To date, the campaign has achieved approximately 80% of its total goal through a combination of individual gifts, corporate and foundation, and events.
Concordia Place has an annual operating budget of >$7million for FY19. Approximately 10% of operations rely on private fundraising. The remaining Concordia Place income is earned from family tuition payments (63%) and public funding (28%) related to its early childhood programs.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should send cover letter, resume and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Advancement Director” in the subject line.
Candidates should be prepared to provide work samples, references, and other supplemental materials if requested.