Position: Director of Development
Seafarers International House
Status: Full-Time, Exempt position based in New York, New York
Start date: March 1, 2018
Seafarers International House (SIH) is the Lutheran response to the urgent needs of vulnerable seafarers and sojourners. An ecumenical mission of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, SIH is a multi-faith, multi-national “harbor of hospitality” seeking to nurture the human spirit and foster human dignity by providing pastoral care, social assistance, temporary housing, advocacy and prayer. Core to our programming is our port ministry program serving seafarers, the men and women who spend their lives at sea and who deliver the vast majority of goods consumed around the world. Our port chaplains call on ships in the ports of New York, New Jersey, New Haven, CT, Baltimore, and Philadelphia. We also operate an 84-room lodging and hospitality facility in New York City near Union Square. A portion of the rooms in this guesthouse are used to house and serve seafarers, vulnerable refugees, asylum seekers, and survivors of human trafficking--people who travel under duress or difficult circumstances. To learn more, visit www.sihnyc.org
The Director of Development will provide staff leadership and management of a comprehensive development program. She/he will lead and execute all development activities including SIH’s special fundraising events; institutional giving from congregations and other church-related entities, foundations and corporations; individual giving; and donor cultivation and stewardship. The Director of Development serves as one of two front-line fundraisers in the agency, along with the Executive Director. She/he will work closely with the Executive Director and Development Committee to develop a multi-year fundraising plan to grow contributed funding. SIH seeks a fund development professional who is passionate, self-motivated, organized and energetic and whose values are aligned with SIH’s goals to respond to the urgent needs to vulnerable seafarers and sojourners. This is an exciting and fulfilling opportunity for the right person.
- Provide staff leadership and management of Seafarers’ comprehensive development program, which currently funds 15-20% of the organization’s annual $2.6 million budget.
- Provide leadership for SIH’s special events including the Setting the Course Gala and Right of Asylum reception.
- Provide leadership for SIH’s Individual Giving Program
- Oversee SIH’s Institutional Giving Program
- Serve as staff liaison to the Development Committee; partner with the committee, full board and the Executive Director to develop a multi-year fundraising plan to grow contributed funding including a potential Capital Campaign.
- Board Relations
- Oversee donor-related reporting and communications
- Oversee donor-related engagement projects including “Christmas at Sea” and visits to Asylum Seekers in Detention Centers and other ways to connect potential donors with the mission of SIH.
- College degree required.
- Certified Fundraising Executives (CFREs) or those seeking the CFRE preferred.
- Ability to immerse her/himself in the maritime and the immigration communities and to relate work responsibilities to the mission of the church is essential.
- 3-5 years’ experience in fundraising, stewardship and/or donor relations.
- Superior writing and research skills and strong interpersonal skills.
- Computer literate, with proficiency in Microsoft Office suite and experience with donor databases and/or Customer Relationship Management software.
- Ability to develop a comprehensive development budget and manage it.
- Ability to execute as well as manage; commitment to excellence and demonstrated organizational skills in time management, planning and prioritizing.
- Demonstrated experience as a self-starter and possessing a goal driven attitude to initiate and orchestrate donor visits and fundraising calls.
- Some travel and occasional evening or weekend availability for event attendance is required.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. SIH has an excellent benefits package, including a 12% pension, full health and dental benefits, and paid vacation.
To Apply: The position is available March 1, 2018. Interviews for the position will begin in December, 2017 with finalist interviews continuing in January, 2018. Please send resume and cover letter with salary requirements formatted as a Word document or Adobe PDF to Rev. Marsh Drege, Executive Director: email@example.com. No phone calls please.
Seafarers does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, gender, religion, or sexual orientation
For a full job position: click here>