Washington, D.C. (March 24, 2014). – On Wednesday, April 2 at 9am, Catholic Charities USA, joined by academics, policymakers and non-profit leaders, will host the 3rd Annual National Poverty Summit in Washington, D.C. The Summit will showcase the innovative approaches and passionate commitment that so many individuals and organizations exhibit each and every day to ending poverty in America and strengthening our nation so that everyone, regardless of their background or socioeconomic status, has the opportunity to achieve their full potential.
In January, leaders from several of the nation's largest humanitarian organizations announced a new collaboration to fight the War on Poverty. Brought together by CCUSA, leadership from Lutheran Services in America, Feeding America, Save the Children, The Salvation Army, National Alliance to End Homelessness, United Way, The Alliance for Children and Families, Bread for the World, National Council of the United States Society of St. Vincent de Paul, Inc. and the Jewish Council for Public Affairs all agreed to work together in 2014 to educate, innovate and act to reduce poverty in communities across the country. The Summit is a continuation of their commitment.
Panel discussions will cover a range of topics, including a historical perspective on the War on Poverty and innovative initiatives from the nation's top charitable organizations that exemplify reform principles from the non-profit sector.
Confirmed speakers and panelists include:
- Rev. Larry Snyder, President, Catholic Charities USA
- Charlotte Haberaecker, President and CEO, Lutheran Services in America
- Congressman James Clyburn (D-S.C.)
- Congressman Jim McGovern (D-Mass.)
- Major Garrett, CBS News' Chief White House Correspondent, Columnist At-Large for the National Journal
- Mark Shriver, Senior Vice President Strategic Initiatives, Save the Children
- Susan Dreyfus, President and CEO, Alliance for Children and Families
- David Beckmann, President, Bread for the World
- Rabbi Steve Gutow, President and CEO, Jewish Council for Public Affairs
- Nan Roman, President and CEO, National Alliance to End Homelessness
- David Barringer, CEO, Society of St. Vincent de Paul
- Gloria Johnson-Cusack, Executive Director, Leadership 18
For more information on the 3rd Annual Poverty Summit, click here.
Not able to attend in person? Please contact us to join us via web stream and share your reactions on social media using #WarOnPoverty.
3rd Annual National Poverty Summit
WHERE: Arent Fox Conference Center
1717 K St NW
Washington, D.C. 20036
WHEN: Wednesday, April 2, 2014
9:30 A.M. EDT – 4:30 P.M. EDT
HOW: Media interested in attending the conference or speaking with confirmed speakers and panelists should RSVP to Tiffany Edwards (email@example.com) for additional information.