The Lutheran Services in America “Strength & Service Series”
Engagement Technology — What Happens When You Pair Technology and Creative Leadership
Date: Thursday, October 29, 2020
Time: 1:00-2:00pm EDT
The COVID-19 crisis has brought to the forefront the importance of staying connected, and the consequences of being isolated. Come see how the pairing of technology and creative leadership can lead to successful outcomes and improve the quality of life for everyone involved. Hosted by Jack York, President and Cofounder of iN2L, Dave Gehm, President and CEO of Wellspring Lutheran Services, and Kevin McFeely, President and CEO of Tacoma Lutheran, will share their own experiences and expertise on creative ways they have kept their residents, families and staff connected and engaged through the pandemic. For more information and to register click here.
- Rural America's Senior Citizens: Considerations for Transportation, Healthcare Access, Connectedness, Nutrition and Economics
- VA Video Connect for Clinical Care in Older Adults in a Rural State During the COVID-19 Pandemic: Cross-Sectional Study
- Designing Senior Living Outside/Gardens to Attract Activity
- National Academy of Medicine's Healthy Longevity Challenge Winners
- Medicare and Home Health: Taking Stock in the COVID-19 Era
CMS & HHS Resources
October 15 to December 7 is Medicare’s Open Enrollment Period. Visit Medicare.gov/plan-compare to compare Medicare health plans and find the plan that best fits your needs and budget.
- Nursing Home COVID-19 Preparedness for Fall & Winter Web-Based Training
- Pharmacy Partnership for Long-Term Care: COVID-19 Vaccine Distribution - Open until 11/2. FAQs here. If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com.
- SNF Portal on National Healthcare Safety Network (NHSN)
- ALF Survey on online REDcap sign-up form.
Remember: 2020 CARES Act’s Charitable Giving Incentive creates a new above-the-line deduction (universal or non-itemizer deduction that applies to all taxpayers) for total charitable contributions of up to $300. The incentive applies to cash contributions made in 2020 and can be claimed on tax forms next year. The law also lifts the existing cap on annual contributions for those who itemize, raising it from 60 percent of adjusted gross income to 100 percent.
- The Commonwealth Fund's Medicare Data Hub
- HRSA's Health Equity Report 2019-2020: Special Feature on Housing and Health Inequalities
- Addressing Social Isolation for Older Adults During the COVID-19 Crisis
- WebMD & JAHF's Over 70: Take Control of Your Health tool
- Cooking and Nutrition for Older Adults November 4th 1:00pmEDT
- Medicaid Supports for Family Caregivers November 12th 1:00pmEDT
- COVID-19 and Dementia: Lessons for the Next Pandemic (Recording)
Much Activity But no Real Progress Toward Passage of a COVID Relief Bill Before Election
The Senate was unable to pass a bill on October 20th to extend the Paycheck Protection Program (PPP), and the following day failed to move forward a broader $500 billion COVID relief package aimed at enhanced unemployment benefits, allocated funding for testing and vaccine development and school assistance. The PPP measure continued to cap employer eligibility to those with 500 or fewer employees for first time loans and 300 for second loans. Meanwhile, while White House chief of staff Mark Meadows is signaling that the Trump Administration is close to reaching an agreement with House Democrats on a package, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell has indicated it’s very unlikely that Senate Republicans would support such a deal. Given the continued wide gap between the House and Senate packages, Congressional COVID relief remains unlikely until after the November election. Nevertheless, Lutheran Services in America continues to call on lawmakers to return to the negotiating table, urging senators to support nonprofit provider needs in a package now.
Join us in urging lawmakers to provide additional nonprofit relief NOW by clicking here.
The purpose of this digest is to provide current news and resources to Lutheran Senior Services organizations. The Catalyst is disseminated every other week and includes relevant reports, educational opportunities, policy updates and other announcements. To add colleagues to the distribution list or to unsubscribe from the Catalyst, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.