The Reimagining Diversity Collaborative is a unique opportunity to bring together CEOs and board members in the Lutheran Services in America network to discuss ways to promote diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) in a safe and trusted learning environment. The Collaborative will provide a foundation for raising awareness and understanding of DEI and tools to support organizations in applying DEI within their organizations and in their services in the community.
The Collaborative leverages a proven model experienced by Lutheran Services in America member, We Raise Foundation, who has realized enormous benefits in their organization and in better serving its community. As a result of its experience, We Raise Foundation is generously funding part of the Collaborative work so that the benefits they achieved can be realized by members across the network.
As the CEOs and board members in the collaborative, you will hear from experts in the field of DEI and examine your own organizational policies and practices as they relate to racial equity. You’ll also engage in candid conversations with peers throughout the country who share your faith-based mission and values—and with whom you don’t compete—which creates a one-of-a-kind high-trust learning environment.
The content will focus on DEI from a faith-based social ministry perspective and will enable you and your leadership team to more effectively achieve your mission and serve your communities as you faithfully live into your organizational mission.
The collaborative will consist of CEOs of Lutheran social ministry organizations and one member of their board of directors. Both the CEO and board representative will attend three virtual two-hour sessions in November 2021, March and June 2022 and a day-long in-person seminar on Wednesday, January 26, 2022 at the Sheraton Tampa Riverwalk Hotel in Tampa, Florida. Attendees will participate in the January 26 morning session of the Lutheran Services in America CEO Summit 2022 on Pathways to High Performing Boards followed by an afternoon session of the Collaborative. Registration for the Wednesday only session is $275 and is available here (select "Wednesday Only - Reimagining Diversity" registration type). Note for CEOs attending the entire CEO Summit, there is no additional cost for the Wednesday program. Hotel reservations at a discounted rate can be made here.
Prep work will be assigned and should be completed prior to each Reimagining Diversity Collaborative session, which will help prepare the collaborative participants to engage more fully with the DEI consultants and each other, during the sessions. The prep work will not be overly time intensive and include relevant assignments such as gathering data on staff demographics and assessing organizational values, policies, and procedures.
As a result of this collaborative, CEOs and board representatives will:
- Reimagine diversity as an integral business strategy
- Have the tools needed to prepare people to have conversations internally and support expansion of DEI work within their organization
- Gain greater understanding of their communities served and opportunities for greater impact of their work within the community
- Collaborate with key stakeholders (board of directors, other members of leadership) to incorporate and sustain new practices that aim to achieve greater organizational diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Communicate the importance of this work within the organization
The CEOs and board representatives commit to the following:
- Attend all three two-hour virtual sessions in November 2021, March and June 2022.
- Attend the in-person seminar on Wednesday, January 26, 2022 at the Sheraton Tampa Riverwalk Hotel in Tampa, Florida. Travel, lodging, and meeting registration costs are the responsibility of the collaborative participants
- Complete all prep work prior to each virtual and in-person session
- Engage in open dialogue and genuine reflection regarding their own organization’s policies and practices as well as opportunities to better promote diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Approach the sessions with cooperation and alignment of CEO and Board member
- Share key learnings within the organization within three months of completing the collaborative’s programming
Four virtual sessions are planned:
- November 17, 2021: Session #1: 1–3 p.m. ET
- January 26, 2022: Session #2: 2–4 p.m. ET
- March 23, 2022: Session #3: 1–3 p.m. ET
- June 22, 2022: Session #4: 1–3 p.m. ET
Please submit your application form to Susan Newton at firstname.lastname@example.org.